The 6th Missile Battalion/43rd Artillery
Nike-Hercules Surface-to-air missile
1960-1966

LI-01 Ceresco/Davey
IFC
Launcher


LI-50 Crete
IFC
Launcher


OF-10 Treynor, Iowa
OF-50 Cedar Creek

With 12 missiles per site guided by multiple search, tracking and other radar system, the 6th/43rd stood as a point-defense guardian of both Lincoln and Offutt Air Force Bases until 1966.

The Nike-Hercules missile boasted a 100 mile range and could destroy aerial targets with either high explosive or nuclear warheads. Its sophisticated tracking, guidance and maintenance needs were supported by up to one-hundred men at each site.

Each site was divided into a launching site and an Integrated Fire Control center which were both put at distances of up to one mile away from each other. This was done so missile tracking radars at the fire control center could effectively guide the Nike-Hercules launching from the launch site towards its target.

The development of the Nike line stemmed from the Nike-Ajax missile in the early 1950s which protected cities primarily to the Nike-Hercules which also was developed as a city protector but was also called upon to defend SAC bomber bases. With the development of ICBMs both Nike variants became obsolete as neither could effectively defend areas from missiles. While anti-ballistic missile development continued, the Nike-Hercules missiles were phased out from defending SAC bases during the mid-60s and overall as an effective point-defense missile system in 1974.

Eastern Nebraska Air Defense

It was decided in the late 1950s for Army point-defense of selected SAC bomber bases and in 1959 construction began near Davey and Crete. Operational in 1960, the two Lincoln and two Offutt sites were tied together with overall air-defense management centered at Omaha Air Force Station in north Omaha. With Omaha tied into the national Semi-Automatic Ground Environment, or SAGE computer network, the Nike sites were interwoven into NORAD control.
Make a Free Website with Yola.